| The Big One
By Cartoon: Pat Bagley, Salt Lake Tribune
Project: Cynthia Kirkeby
May 26, 2008, 06:08 PST
|© Pat Bagley, Salt Lake Tribune 2008|
The Next Big One
Since the beginning of 2008, there have already been nine "special" seismic events around the world. Ranging from a magnitude 5.2 in Illinois to a magnitude 7.9 in Eastern Sichuan, China. The damage has ranged from minor building damage with no injuries to severe damage to buildings in the Dujiangyan-Mianzhu-Mianyang area, and more than 51,000 people killed. Some of these earthquakes are following a pattern of increased seismic activity in their areas.
Questions to Ponder
- Have people in high earthquake areas become complacent about the risk in their areas?
- Does your family have an emergency kit prepared?
- Does your family have an emergency plan in case of an earthquake or other disaster?
- Do you think that your city or town is sufficiently prepared to deal with a major disaster?
- Has your town published a formal disaster plan?
Learning Links for International Earthquakes and Disaster Preparation
© Copyright 2008 by Classbrain.com
Top of Page