link to ClassBrain Home  Link to Teaching Tools  Link to Reading Room  link to ClassBrain Home  Link to Parents and Teachers Monthly Grb Bag  Link to My Brain  Link to School Matters  Link to Money  Link to Teaching Tools
 link to parent teacher  link to pre k - kindergarten  link to state reports  link to games  link to corporate information
 plug-in page link  link to ask classbrain

Last Updated: May 29th, 2012 - 03:07:02 

Disaster Assistance  

Assistance from Disaster Help
Q & A

By DisasterHelp
Apr 19, 2008, 10:49

How do I apply for disaster assistance?
There are a number of different services and special programs made available when the President signs a major disaster declaration. The process to apply is as simple as a single telephone call to FEMA.
How can I get in touch with my family?
The American Red Cross maintains a database to help you find family. Contact your local American Red Cross chapter for information. Do not contact the chapter in the disaster area.
What if my home was destroyed?
FEMA can provide disaster housing assistance to those whose homes are damaged or destroyed. To apply for assistance, all you have to do is call the special toll free telephone number, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) and register. Specially trained operators at one of FEMA's National Processing Service Centers will process your application.
Where can I get food and water?
The American Red Cross and other volunteer agencies will provide you with food, water and clothing. Listen to your radio or watch local media for the location of the nearest volunteer agency facility. There are also sources of water in your home that you may have not thought of. For example, your hot water heater is an excellent source of water. Turn off the power that heats your tank and let it cool. When you want water, place a container underneath and open the drain valve on the bottom of the tank.
What if I lost my job or can't work because of the disaster?
People who lose their jobs due to the disaster may apply for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) which provides weekly benefits to individuals who are unemployed and not eligible for regular Unemployment Insurance compensation. You can call 1-800-621- FEMA (TTY: 1-800-462-7585) or the local unemployment office for information.
I think I need legal help.
Local members of the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division offer free legal counseling to low-income individuals. You can get information at a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) that may be set up after the President declares a major disaster. You can call 1-800-621-FEMA for more information.

Source: DisasterHelp

© Copyright 2008 by

Top of Page



Search ClassBrain
Search WWW